Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Let me see if I've got the spin straight here...

The US needs to send more money and more soldiers to Iraq to do good, serve George Washington's ideas of freedom, save the world from Islamofacists, blah blah blah.
The UK (our strongest ally in this crusade) is pulling money and soldiers out of Iraq because things are going so well in their sector.
Is there a particular reason why our strong ally won't transfer some of their bodies and equipment into the US sector before the US pours more blood and money down the drain? Isn't that what allies and a 'coalition of the willing should do for each other?
I can't think of a way to spin that one. Even my cynical mind can't conceive of a one liner to twist it in favor of the Republican apologists. Better to avoid the question.

Let me take a REAL stab at answering it. The reason is that the UK government has had enough of this quagmire and they are leaving the US to mop it up. Labour must give in to public opinion a bit and appear sensible because a campaign is soon to start there. I can't say that I blame them. I wish Tony Blair would have had the balls and brains to walk away from it 2 years ago.

No comments: