Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Conservative is...(take 2)

My friend Tim is smarter than I am. When he said he couldn't follow my first attempt to describe conservatism, I figured that I either wrote over his head or wrote it poorly. Since I'm a semi-verbal accountant, the latter explanation is more likely. So....

A week ago I bought a bunch of grapes and put them in the fridge for my kid to munch on. She found the grapes to be tasty and attractive - a satisfactory status quo was in place. As the grape supply got low, I bought a second bunch which did not look exactly like the first bunch that she was enjoying so. She remarked that the new bunch looks funny. Paraphrasing Pete Townshend - the new grapes are not the same as the old grapes. A conservative would dismiss the possibility that the new grapes could have any worth because the old grapes are just so darn attractive and tasty. A conservative would hesitate to try the new grapes even after the old grapes were gone. The conservative grape person would hold their stubborness and closed-mindedness up as a righteous virtue, as they are the true upholder of all that is sweet and shiny in the pantheon of grapeness.

1 comment:

ThatMelhouseGirl said...

Moral of the story: Don't buy grapes at Stop & Shop. Their produce isn't as good as Shaw's.