Monday, September 19, 2011

Class Warfare is not nice

A few days ago I ate a bunch of fiber rich foods too close to bed time. My wife was not happy with the results, but I was happy that she didn't resort to calling it ass warfare. I had no intention of taking the ground she occupied or killing her. Calling this situation a war could only lead to a hardening of positions. My determination to eat what I want and her rights to a peaceful night's sleep would both be compromised by raising the stakes in the discussion. Neither of us wants to lose a war. War implies national pride, life and death. We should really be discussing farts, which typically do not involve patriotism, life and death.

President Obama has again proposed raising taxes on rich people. In Republican circles, this amounts to class warfare. Can't they come up with a better sound bite than that? What would they call it if poor and working class people took up arms and killed rich people with swords and axes? If you have already defined class warfare as raising taxes on the rich, where can you go with your rhetoric?

I humbly suggest that Republicans tone down the rhetoric a bit. The Freedom Tax, Class Argument, BadDemGoodRepub and Shartonomics come to mind. Come on Conservatives you can come up with something better than Class Warfare. This is the party that coined "no new taxes", "government is the problem" and "tax and spend". I have faith in you knuckleheads.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Dear Lord...have mercy on your wife:)