Wednesday, November 26, 2008

All Republicans have a favorite talking head

They like to call him "my guy". I have never met a Republican who doesn't have one. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I've never met one.

Yesterday I caught a few tortured minutes with good ole Rush Limbaugh. Rushie was incredulous that anyone (especially a Republican) would say that foreclosures should be halted by law and that they want to save the banks. This exposes two of Rush's favorite things to resonate his great voice over: stupidity and hypocrisy. According to Rush's logic banks are doomed to failure if they are prevented from foreclosing on people who are behind on their mortgages. This logic is so stupid I'm not going to count the ways it is wrong, but it did make me think. It made me wonder what planet are Republicans living on. I really don't know.

A few years ago I had a right-wing radio guy that I liked to listen to during afternoon drive time. Jay Severin was a local guy in Boston at the time, I'm not sure what he is doing now. I liked listening to him because he was funny and cute about his wrong-headed ideas. He crossed my line on the first day of the Iraq invasion of 2002. Jay was so excited and happy and the bombs being dropped that he cheered and laughed loudly on the air at the reports of dead Iraqis piling up and the glorious explosions. I guess he thought he was trying to make death and destruction entertaining. That's a tough job to do, but it seemed a bit much to me when he came out against the war in just a few short months time and blamed his enthusiasm on Bush and Coling Powell's lies.

Maybe I just take politics more seriously than the average radio talk listener. Or maybe I'm just an elitist pinko. I can take either insult, they don't seem particularly insulting to me.

3 comments:

82_Jetta said...

Well, maybe you should enlighten all of us and tell us myriad reasons. Oh, that maybe the banking industry as a whole should have told the Clinton administration to pound sand when it was pressured to make B and worse loans. Or better yet that the banks shouldn't have been so greedy and lined their pockets by taking those loans and then selling them to the secondary market.

Please, by all means, enlighten us on how bad business practices should be rewarded with a bailout.

Jeff said...

The above comment illustrates my point perfectly. thanks

David Schrag said...

Jay Severin is still alive and unwell and living near Boston. He's so wrong about everything that I decided to create my own blog about him: http://severinwatch.com.