Thursday, January 08, 2009

Before the new TV season starts

I watched a bunch of fun stuff yesterday. The best of it was a 1-on-1 interview on CNBC with Pres Obama mostly discussing the economy. The man is speaking plainly and giving it up very straight. That's his best feature at this point. He is playing the moderate executive very well. He is probably a bit too conservative for my partisan blood, but I appreciate the fact that he's an executive not a legislator. And most importantly for your average 'independent' voter, he was embarrassed about the paparazzi shots of his naked chest from Hawaii.

President Obama did address the issue of most interest to me, which is probably the key to my pleasure with the interview. He said that he understood the need for foreclosure prevention to be part of the coming big bill, and has heard some good thoughts from Chris Dodd and Barney Frank on putting the next $350Billion in TARP funds to work on that.

I spent a few minutes watching Sean Hannity trying whine his way past the conservative economists provided by his network for our entertainment. The economists were talking about the tax breaks for poor and middle class people in Obama's plan and while they could not come up with any objections to these ideas, Hannity threw a few keywords out to scoff at the notions. The keywords were redistribution, freedom, big gubment...you get the idea.

I also saw a replay of Ann Coulter's interview with Harry Smith from a few days ago. She's a trip. Trying to be funny and then turning the humor on a dime into nasty, nasty anger is quite a personna. I understand some people like that in a real way. I find her to be compelling like a car wreck.

Obama's speech this morning should be very high level and general. Trying to whip up some excitement for the coming big bill. I don't think excitement is necessary, his hand seems to be very strong. But, what the hell do I know?

No comments:

Blog Archive